About the Reading List
The PMRC and Indigenous Foundational Reading List includes key historical documents like Treaties, TRC and UNDRIP and Articles and Books.
The materials here are offered by Indigenous Ministry leadership, for United Church people to embrace for learning and understanding. It is our sincere hope that these documents support relationship building, and transformative reconciliation. The Reading List is organized into three areas:
Foundational Historical Documents: Includes published resources that are considered key, and introductory material to matters concerning the United Church and Indigenous peoples, including United Church Resources, Treaties (B.C.), and National/International Resources.
Articles: Links to current articles in online periodicals.
Books: Published material available in hard copy or electronically and serves as a reference list for those interested in purchasing from a bookstore or borrowing from a library.
The Reading List
United Church Resources
- United Church Apology to First Nations Peoples (1986)
- United Church Apology to Former Students of United Church Indian Residential Schools (1998) looking for this link
- Caretakers Report (2014)
- Treaty 8
- Maa-nulth First Nations [no link yet]
- Nisga’a First Nation
- Sechelt Indian Band
- Tla’amin First Nation
- Tsawwassen First Nation
- Westbank First Nation
National/International Resources waiting on these links
- Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action
- United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples
- Strength for Climbing: Steps on the Journey of Reconciliation (Kairos)