Gordon United Church, Langford, British Columbia is seeking a part-time Musician and Choir Director (10 hours/week) who will plan and lead our music ministry. The ideal candidate will be a skilled musician in piano, organ and/or guitar, and show a strong capability as choir director.
This candidate is expected to consult, collaborate, and work alongside the minister in the selection and preparation of music for worship.
Gordon United is a church of longstanding members, mainly of older adults with some younger families and children. Music is a very important part of the service. The successful candidate would be available for Sunday mornings with a brief choir practice preceding the service as well as a weekly evening choir practice. They would also be available for special services as needed and potentially for weddings or memorials. To learn more the Music Director’s job description and about our church and congregation, please visit our website at www.gordonunitedchurch.ca
Qualifications for the position include:
- Degree in music theory and practical aspects or equivalent
- Experience and knowledge of church music, directing choirs and playing various instruments
- Musical versatility and the ability to play and lead in a variety of styles, especially more modern ones
- Be able to read and play from musical notation as in existing hymn-books and choir anthems in order to lead the congregation and choir
- Manage music copyright licensing and reporting (OneLicense, Borealis Music, Musiklus, etc.)
- Excellent interpersonal and team-building skills with a demonstrated ability to work equally well with a congregation, choir, ministry personnel, and volunteers
Remuneration is commensurate with salary Royal Canadian College of Organists (RCCO) guidelines, according to education and experience.
We invite interested candidates to forward a resume and cover letter until September 30, 2022 to Carolyn Matheson, Chairperson of Ministry and Personnel, via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail to Gordon United Church, 935 Goldstream Ave., Langford, BC V9B 2Y2. All information will be treated with confidentiality. An audio or video clip of your keyboarding and/or choral conducting skills may be included with your resume, as available.