On September 15, young people around the world will gather during the Global Climate Strike for action on climate change and an end to fossil fuels. In 2019, hundreds of thousands of people marched across Canada as part of the event, organized by the youth collective Fridays for Future. The pandemic interrupted that momentum; let’s build it back again! A multifaith coalition for climate justice, For the Love of Creation (FLC) wants to support young people of faith participating in the global action.
FLC will provide an honorarium of $100/city for one or two individuals who are 25-years-old or under to help organize a group of people to participate in the Global Climate Strike on September 15, as well as a preceding multifaith prayer gathering.
We will regularly update the following list of cities where planning has already begun and the organizers’ contact details.
Here’s what you’ll do as an Animator:
- Attend a one hour long training and network building webinar in August.
- Connect with your local Fridays for Future organizers and let them know you’d like to organize a multifaith prayer gathering that feeds into the Global Climate Strike.
- Work with others to organize a multifaith prayer gathering before the Global Climate Strike.
- Post the details about the prayer gathering on the FLC map.
- Pray and march on September 15!
- Send photos of your prayer time and march to FLC.
Does this sound like a lot of work? Don’t worry, FLC is here to support you. There is some funding available to help with local actions you might want to take, like making signs or posters, and the training will give you resources to help connect with organizations, institutions, and individuals who are ready to help.
Honoraria will be awarded upon submission of photos from the prayer and strike events.
If you’d like to join us, please fill out this application form:
See you at the Global Climate Strike!