Shaughnessy Heights United Church, Vancouver, BC, seeks a Minister of Choral Music
Shaughnessy Heights United Church in Vancouver seeks a Minister of Choral Music to join us in our ministry of Worship, Connection and Social Justice. If you are an accomplished choral director ready to collaborate with a vibrant ministry team to lead a varied choral music program that enriches our worship and encourages congregational participation, then Shaughnessy Heights United Church may be a place for you to share your gifts.
Our congregation loves music. We are inspired by our musical traditions and excited to explore and incorporate new expressions of liturgical music. We are looking for a choral director who sees music as a collaborative ministry of the whole congregation.
When we gather together at Shaughnessy Heights United Church, we remember that we worship, engage in God’s work and share community on lands that are the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkwəy’əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Peoples. We strive to live with respect on this land and to live in peace and friendship with its people.
We are a congregation of about 100 worshippers, founded in 1926. The sanctuary holds about 400 people and is bright and airy. There is a Casavant Organ and three grand pianos. There is also a live-broadcast system used weekly for hybrid services and available for live-streaming of concerts.
The Sanctuary Choir is an SATB ensemble of about 20 singers, including 5 paid section leads. They provide music for regular Sunday worship (September through June), as well as for special services such as Remembrance Day, Tenebrae, and Christmas Lessons and Carols. Over the years, the group has presented its own concerts and has also collaborated in performances of larger works, including the Requiems of Mozart, Fauré and Brahms.
Position start date: September 2023 or earlier if agreed
Working Hours: 14 hours/week for 10 months per annum (September to June)
Deadline for applications: May 15, 2023
- an accomplished choral director with at least 5 years of experience conducting choirs and at least 2 years of singing or conducting in a church setting
- Bachelor of Music degree, and preferably a Master of Music degree, or equivalent, with a specialization in vocal music and/or choral conducting
- experienced in the performance of traditional church choral music with an eagerness to explore a variety of choral styles
- able to direct the choir and encourage congregational singing
- a collaborative musician who will work well with the Co-ordinating Minister, the Minister of Instrumental Music, the Music and Worship Team, and the Mission Elder for Worship
- a nurturing musician who will encourage and support the contributions of volunteer and paid members of musical groups and build a community of singers who appreciate the exploration of Christian faith through music
- knowledgeable about and comfortable with United Church liturgy and practices
The Choral Minister, together with the Minister of Instrumental Music, is responsible for contributing to meaningful worship services that reflect the core values, mission and beliefs of the congregation. Specifically, the Minister for Choral Music is responsible for: choral leadership, encouraging a vibrant and diverse music program, consulting with the Co-ordinating Minister on hymn selection, and administering the music expense budget. For more details, view the complete job description at www.SHUC.ca.
Salary and Benefits
- Annual salary to be calculated based on the RCCO scale, commensurate with experience
- Weddings, funerals, and concert activities are remunerated separately
Please apply by email to email@example.com with the words Minister of Choral Music in the subject headline. All applications will be held in confidence with the SHUC search team. In your cover letter please explain your interest in applying for this position and include your CV/resumé. You may also send any questions regarding the position to this address.
You may receive an email inviting you to provide links to recordings (video preferable) that demonstrate your choir conducting skills. References may also be requested.
We thank all of those who apply, however only those chosen for an interview will be contacted.
The successful candidate will be expected to provide a criminal record and vulnerable sector check and to comply with the SHUC COVID-19 Mandatory Vaccine Policy.