Position Title: Children’s Ministry Coordinator
Reports to: (Lead) Minister
Position Category: Ministry / Support
UCC Stream: Term Employee
Position Type: Part-time; contract (renewable)
Hours of Work: 10 hours/week
Wage Structure: Hourly
Initial Contract Term: January 8 – August 31, 2024
The Children’s Ministry Coordinator participates in the ministry of North Lonsdale United Church (NLUC), located in North Vancouver, by working collaboratively with the Minister and volunteers to deliver programming to and care for children in the congregation. In his or her capacity as the point person for Children’s Ministry, s/he works alongside the Minister in selecting and implementing curriculum, empowers children’s ministry volunteers, and leads Sunday School lessons for children in Preschool – Grade 7.
The ideal candidate is Christ-centred, has a biblically-informed and vibrant vision for children’s ministry, and a heart for nurturing transformation within the context of Christian community. They care deeply about serving kids and leading them in meaningful, age-appropriate faith formation activities.
Required Qualifications & Experience
The preferred candidate will possess post-secondary training in children’s or youth ministry, Christian studies, child and youth care, education, leadership, or have equivalent experience in a related field. Some training in theology would be considered an asset. A criminal record check will be required prior to hiring and first aid certification, if not already held, will need to be obtained within the first three months of employment (at the church’s expense).
The incumbent will also need to have:
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Familiarity with cloud-based platforms/tools and/or the ability to learn new collaborative systems quickly, with training provided;
- Interpersonal skills and a proven history of working with all age groups, but primarily with children and/or youth;
- The ability to work independently on assigned tasks;
- The ability to lead others as necessary, including volunteers.
- In collaboration with the Minister, select appropriate curriculum resources for use in Children’s Ministry on an ongoing basis;
- Review and prepare weekly curriculum, teaching plans, activity supplies, A/V elements (if applicable), and take-home resources;
- Lead Sunday morning programming for Children Ministry, supported by volunteers;
- Equip, empower, and coordinate the schedule for children’s ministry volunteers;
- Participate in Sunday morning services as requested by the Minister and/or special events that may arise from time to time;
- Pray regularly for and with Children’s Ministry volunteers, kids, and families.
Estimated Division of Time (Weekly)
Remuneration & Benefits
Renumeration: $16.75–$22.50/hour, established in consultation with the Board. Time sheets are required.
Vacation: As established in consultation with the Board and the Minister
Benefits: This position is not eligible for extended health benefits or for the UCC pension plan.
Lines of Accountability & Terms of Employment
This position reports to the Minister for day-to-day functions and the incumbent is accountable to the Board through the Ministry & Personnel (M&P) Committee on all matters related to his or her employment. The Manual, The United Church of Canada’s Employment Guidelines, and any relevant provincial legislation shall be used as terms of employment for this position.
How to Apply
Interested individuals should send a resume and cover letter to Aileen Molloy, Chair, Ministry & Personnel Committee, at email@example.com, by November 30, 2023. The position will remain open until a suitable candidate is found.